April 25: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book (topic originally done back in 2013) — tell us all your book turn offs!
1. Middle aged man has mid-life crisis and/or an affair. I don’t care how ‘literary’ it is. Yawn.
2. (Most) Love-triangles. MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND!! Also, how many awkward teens have one dreamboat lusting after them, let alone two? And often times neither of the choices really seems worth the trouble. I’d rather have one well-written relationship or none at all, thanks.
3. (Most) High-School. Odd for a YA-lover I know. I have enjoyed a few, but they have to be really good. I’m just too old to care about the stereotypical high-school dramas. Sorry, I’ll just be over here with my cats and my needlepoint….
4. Autobiographies. Most of the time, I just think, who cares? Especially celebrities.
5. Teak-jerkers. War, tragic illness etc. especially. Double especially if the tear-jerking seems to be the main point of the book.
6. ‘Chick-Lit’ and the whole concept of chick-lit.
7. Old-school High Fantasy. Not always, but as someone who grew up on fantasy and still reads 90% fantasy books, if it doesn’t have something new – angle, premise, characters – it’ll probably just blend into the smush of similar books in my head.
8. Homophobia, misogyny, racism… and all the other -phobias and -isms. This one’s hard to explain because sometimes is a part of the plot or the view of a character waiting to be challenged. But, you know how sometimes it’s just there because the author’s a prick? That. Also, goes for sexual assault and rape.
9. Zombies. I freakin’ LOVE The Walking Dead (best show on tv), and I quite like iZombie, but somehow zombies in books just don’t work for me? I’ve been looking for a really good non-comedy zombie YA (in my dreams, with some queer rep) but sadly turned up nothing so far. Recs would be awesome.
10. Body Horror. I think this applies more to horror movies than books, but I’ve seen a few and I refuse to even pick them up. I still have nightmares from being read (by sick, evil ‘friends’) just the plot outlines of The Human Centipede and Tusk. Do not Google. Do not…. Do. Not.
What do you hate? What will make you tear up a book, or just think pass it right over?